The Faculty Senate of The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is a 37-member representative body of the general faculty. We are fully committed to the principles of shared governance, strong communication, and our responsibility to promote academic excellence and protect academic freedom as we engage in the research, teaching, and learning surrounding the complex issues of our time.
Among the democratic values we uphold in Faculty Senate meetings and tasks are the expression of transparency, equality, respect, inclusion, participation, dissent, justice, truth, and diversity with a commitment to the common good and general welfare for all.
UNCG’s Faculty Senate directs its attention to issues of academic policy, institutional governance, research, and other topics of interest to our university and surrounding communities, including:
- Promoting high educational standards.
- Approving the policies and regulations governing the conditions under which the instruction of students takes place.
- Reviewing policies and regulations pertaining to faculty appointments, development, teaching, and research.
- Maintaining and promoting the welfare of all members of the university community.
- Advising and providing counsel to the administration.
- Communicating the important contributions of higher education for a democratic society.
UNCG’s Faculty Senate meets on the first Wednesday of each month during the academic year, from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. In addition, we host Faculty Forums for the purpose of engaging new issues, considering campus initiatives, and reviewing ongoing Faculty committee tasks that will require input and/or voting by the Faculty Senate.
Our Faculty Senate meetings are open to the public. Faculty Senators and visitors—other faculty, students, staff, governing board members, administrators, and the general public—are welcome to speak and contribute to the conversations at these meetings.
Spoma Jovanovic, UNCG Faculty Senate Chair, 2014-2015
News of Interest
Officers of the Faculty Senate and General Faculty
Term: July 1, 2015 - June 30, 2016
Senate Past Chair
General Faculty Secretary